Thursday, December 2, 2010

Leading up to Christmas

I've been trying to think of something to do with the kids during the season of Advent. Our current tradition is to do a mini-devotional (attention span is VERY limited at this age) and prayer together each night and then open up one of the dates on those little drugstore calendars with a chocolate hiding inside.

This year, as the kids are growing and understanding a bit more, I am wanting to do something more as a family to help them understand this season.

I don't ever want to stress works over faith, since God's gift of His Son, Jesus is nothing we can ever earn, but sometimes "doing" things is a good way to begin having conversations with the kids that will naturally point them towards God and who He is.

I have a friend who started making a list of things she plans to do with her daughter during the season of Advent and here are a few of hers plus some I added that I'd like to try and do with the kids:

-Pick a Christmas card out of the stack and pray for that family
-Memorize scripture together as a family
-Make cards to thank teachers
-Picnic next to the Christmas tree and read the Christmas story
-Bake a food treat for a friend
-Surprise Dad with something special after his long day at work
-Send a card or package to a serviceman
-Go to store and pick out a toy for a needy child and donate
-Go Christmas carolling at the nursing home
-Make hot cocoa from scratch and walk around the neighborhood looking at stars and Christmas lights
-Look around house for loose change and take to a bell ringer
-Walk around neighborhood and gather canned food to donate to people in need
-Visit a neighbor or friend who is lonely or in need
-Make candy cane reindeer and give them away
-Make a pinecone bird feeder to put outside
-Make a small stocking and drop it off on someone’s door as a surprise
-Make a list of 5 things you are thankful for and put it on the refrigerator
-Make a small gift for your friends
-Make and send out Christmas cards

I'd love to hear what others are doing with their families!

2 comments:

Ashley C. said...

Blake & I were JUST talking about this last night! Even though Brecken is still too young to understand, sometimes establishing these type of habits are even good reminders for mom and dad. :) I LOVE all of these ideas! The only other ones that we came up with were serving soup at a soup kitchen or serving at church on Christmas Eve so others could have the opportunity to come. GREAT ideas Carly - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love it Carly! Trish and I are trying to decide how to approach the Santa issue. We don't want the real reason of Christmas to be lost on Cohen. I like the list you have made. Trying to stress the importance of giving to others is a big theme in our house, especially during this time of year. Thanks for some great ideas!