I liked this article/blog post written by Eugene Cho, pastor of a church in Seattle. Gives me something to think about as I enter this season. If you're interested, Click here for the post.
Interesting thought...I wasn't raised with Lent, so I've never practiced it, but I guess I've been thinking about whether or not we should...I guess it is the fact that we are saved by grace, and not saved by works...so wouldn't giving up something be a sort of "works"?...however, I do think it clearly falls under the principle of fasting which is clearly Biblical...so ultimately I think it is a good thing, but used in the proper context (like your article pointed out)...
Thanks for reading this, Dana! I'm also grappling with how to celebrate/prepare for this season with young children. Although God's gift of eternal life is free, I also want them to understand the weight of what Christ did on the cross. Easter is such an awesome and most important even for us and I think that observing Lent in some shape or form by preparing their hearts to understand Christ's sacrifice can help as they are forming their own thoughts and opinions about Christ. I'd love to hear what you and your family are doing!
Very interesting and timely article for me to read. I was not raised in a family that practiced "giving up" for Lent, but have always felt called to do something. I challenged myself this year to spend Lent reflecting on the sacrifice Christ made for us. It has been all the more relevent this year, my first year as a father, to get a small glimpse of God's amazing love for us, His children. The thought of sacrificing Cohen, as God did with His Son, is mind-boggling. My daily quiet times have been spent praising Him and thanking Him for dying on the cross, to give himself up for me. How do I give up something anywhere near as relevant as what Christ gave up for me? I have felt more in the Lenten season this year, "giving in" to God and allowing Him to work in me than I have any other year I may have tried to "give up".
3 comments:
Interesting thought...I wasn't raised with Lent, so I've never practiced it, but I guess I've been thinking about whether or not we should...I guess it is the fact that we are saved by grace, and not saved by works...so wouldn't giving up something be a sort of "works"?...however, I do think it clearly falls under the principle of fasting which is clearly Biblical...so ultimately I think it is a good thing, but used in the proper context (like your article pointed out)...
Thanks for reading this, Dana! I'm also grappling with how to celebrate/prepare for this season with young children. Although God's gift of eternal life is free, I also want them to understand the weight of what Christ did on the cross. Easter is such an awesome and most important even for us and I think that observing Lent in some shape or form by preparing their hearts to understand Christ's sacrifice can help as they are forming their own thoughts and opinions about Christ. I'd love to hear what you and your family are doing!
Very interesting and timely article for me to read. I was not raised in a family that practiced "giving up" for Lent, but have always felt called to do something. I challenged myself this year to spend Lent reflecting on the sacrifice Christ made for us. It has been all the more relevent this year, my first year as a father, to get a small glimpse of God's amazing love for us, His children. The thought of sacrificing Cohen, as God did with His Son, is mind-boggling. My daily quiet times have been spent praising Him and thanking Him for dying on the cross, to give himself up for me. How do I give up something anywhere near as relevant as what Christ gave up for me? I have felt more in the Lenten season this year, "giving in" to God and allowing Him to work in me than I have any other year I may have tried to "give up".
Thanks for the post. Spot on.
Post a Comment