Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Meal Swap

I enjoy cooking for our family, but meal planning is always a daunting task for me, because time and sanity for meal planning/prep is getting increasingly difficult to come by. It was especially tough when I was feeling so sick during the earlier weeks in my pregnancy. I'm feeling better now, and am planning to re-vamp my meal planning skills.
I was excited when my friend invited me to join in her monthly "Meal Swap" group as this will hopefully give me new recipe ideas and will also take the burden off of meal prep a few nights per month.

This meal swap consists of each person making a main entree in bulk and exchanging it with other group members, so each family ends up with a variety of meals to freeze for the month. For this round, there were 7 total families participating, which means I ended up with 6 great freezer meals that will help with my meal planning for the month. I decided to make my mother-in-law's Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe which freezes well and is so tasty. It wasn't a big deal to buy all of the ingredients in bulk and mass-produce the meals.

My parents gave us their old deep freezer that we have in our garage, which makes it easy to store lots of frozen meals.
It feels good to have lots of homemade meals ready to go at my finger tips.

No comments: