Sunday, July 1, 2007

New York



We just returned safely from our New York adventure. Even though it is very late, especially being on East coast time, I am one of those people who needs to decompress after a trip. Plus, I wanted to download our photos and reflect a little on the time we had. Back before digital cameras, I'm the type who would run my camera to the one-hour photo shop first thing after coming home from a vacation so I could get my pictures back. I guess downloading my pictures right away is today's equivalent.

We spent the first several days of our vacation in upstate New York at ERKFest (Simon and extended family reunion). Will got to meet many relatives and friends for the first time (65 at ERKfest alone) and enjoyed all the love. On Thursday, we split off from the group and went to the city where we stayed with some friends and spent some quality time just the three of us. Will was a trooper to say the least as we kept very busy. This trip was a good lesson for me as a mom. So often I try to "protect" Will because I love him so much, but it isn't always protection that he needs. Sometimes I just need to give up control and lighten up. Kids are more resilient than I give them credit for and Will is no exception. I think I needed this trip to show me this.

Here are some highlights from our adventure...

Vanderbilt mansion at Hyde Park

Johnny and Will in Lake George


First time meeting Grandma Dorothy


Square Dance


Relaxing at the Y camp where ERKFest was held


Lots of baths


At Silver Bay YMCA


Staying in Manhattan with Nichole and Megan


WWII Monument at Battery Park


New York Stock Exchange


At the MET


Johnny sampling a NY slice (aren't you supposed to fold it in half?)


Will sporting his much deserved wings

No comments: