To give a brief rundown of the days events, Will dropped a 30 lb weight from Johnny's weight set directly on his foot this morning as we were in the garage preparing to head out on a family walk.
I took one look at the bloody mangled foot and knew something was broken or worse. I rushed Will to the local urgent care where the doctor told me to take him directly to the hospital. We then went home, picked up Johnny and Jane and headed down to the Valley ER.
I think having a moaning toddler and small baby in tow helped us get in quickly, and within the hour the doctor numbed, cleaned and had Will's foot x-rayed. He does have two fractures on his foot/toe region, got some stitches to close a laceration and had to have his big toenail removed, but it doesn't look like the growth plate will be affected, meaning that if all heals well he should be fine and won't require surgery. We head to an orthopedic specialist next week and will then have regular check-ups, but we're thankful that we have such great medical care available to us!
Will was SUCH a brave guy during the day, and Jane was her sweet usual self and even got a short nap in at the hospital. Will's doctor and nurses were very gentle and worked quickly to help him out. One nurse even gave Will's Peter Pan doll a pretend vital sign patch to match Will's and Will kept saying that Peter Pan was "hurt" too.
He had lots of family surrounding him with love and John and I were talking about how much we could feel God's presence and your prayers, as the way was made smooth for us today and we were both able to remain calm even though it was extremely difficult for us to see our baby in so much pain.
Will crashed around 6:30 this evening after taking some Tylenol/codeine. His little foot is all splinted up, and will hopefully be well protected. It will be interesting to see how he does getting around, as the doctor said to "keep him off of it as much as possible"--could be difficult to do :-)
We're supposed to be taking some family pictures with the Simons tomorrow, so we'll see how many smiles we get out of Will...
10 comments:
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about Will's foot but I'm glad that things got taken care of and that he's doing better!
oh carly, i cannot imagine how hard that would be to watch as they worked on your little man. though, I'm a little surprised we haven't yet been to the ER with our dare devil Caleb! Prayers for both Will and Mommy in the upcoming weeks!
Sara Elfering
Oh you guys, I am so sorry to hear about this!! I cannot imagine how scary it must have been for you. I am glad things are looking ok. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything at all! Lots of love to all 4 of you!!
Oh Car, I almost cried reading that. I am SO sorry you had to do through this. Please know we'll be praying for you guys. There's nothing worse than seeing your child hurting. I'll be praying that you find some super enthralling, non-moving activities for Will...which I'm sure will be a challenge. You're an awesome mom...hang in there! Lots of love!
Thanks so much for the encouragement. Will did really well today, got lots of sleep and was actually in a very good mood. We'll be watching lots of movies and doing lots of puzzles in days to come I'm sure...could get interesting when Will starts getting really antsy.
Tonight he realized that he could unwrap his ace bandage so keeping the splint on it will be a challenge :-)
oh, that just breaks my heart. there is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain. way to stay calm under pressure! i'll be praying for a full and speedy recovery and for you to stay sane in the meantime...
Although I would never wish pain on little Will, he looks so cute with that big cast on!!
I am praying for a speedy recovery!
Kate
Thanks for the post on our blog. Hope all is ok with Will. We will sure lift up a prayer for him!
Scott, Trish and Cohen
My heart breaks reading about Will and his foot -- I am so glad you had great care providers! We will pray for a speedy recovery! Let me know if I can do anything to help!
I can't believe that happened to Will! Poor guy...glad to hear that he is doing better!!!
Post a Comment