Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gardening

I have no clue how to garden. I am great at killing plants. Still, we have lots of space in our back yard and I am determined to grow some fruits and veggies this year.
We went to Home Depot last week and picked up some soil, starter plants and seeds. Thinking it might be easier to keep the garden in a confined space, we talked about building the garden in a raised bed.
While we were at Home Depot, I tracked down a worker and asked him where I could find the "gardening boxes" (thinking there might be a starter kit somewhere or even better, a pre-made box I could purchase).
He looked at me like I was crazy and said,
"Um, try the lumber section."
Apparently that was a ridiculous question. Great. How am I going to find the time, energy and know-how to build myself one of these?
Enter my wonderful Husband, who surprised me when I came home from my trip to Easter WA last weekend with a beautiful wooden flower bed he had made. What a treat!
Now I really feel the pressure to get this garden going...I'm sure this will be quite the learning experience for me but I'm excited to get the kids involved and give this a try


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun! We planted our first garden box last year and loved it! We were even gone for 2 weeks and it thrived. I'd recommend hooking up a drip/sprinkler system through it so that you don't have to worry about watering. The kids will love it, and it's so fun eating what you grow yourself. Enjoy!!
Annie